Monday, July 5, 2010

Mental Landscape, July 5th 2010

LUCHINI READS CELINE

It's a holiday today of course, the closest Monday to July 4th. The city has emptied leaving the tourists to fend for themselves. A baking heat floods the streets. Lethagy has crept in a little over the last week and I haven't written much of anything at all. It's lethagy and not writer's block though, ideas raise their heads here and there, but I can't lift the pen. There's a line in Dylan Thomas' poem 'Not From This Anger':

Rufusal struck like a bell underwater

That's how I feel just at the moment, wallowing in the moments after the bell has struck underwater, its clapper drifting back into position, lazily through the weight of water...

I've rushed from McNally Jackson bookstore to Housing Works hoping to find a cheap copy of Thomas' poetry today but hit a dead end. I read instead Camus' essay ' The Myth of Sisyphus'. I'm hoping that this will open new doors for 'Death Ship'. Sisyphus' nephew was Melicertes whose body was brought to the shores of Corinth on the back of a Dolphin. How can I Work Camus' image of Sisyphus into my story? Sisyphus as happy in his work and finding meaning in it - actually, finding meaning in his moments to reflect as the boulder rolls back down the hill and he trots leisurly after it - not unlike the swinging of the clapper in Thomas' Bell.

I watched a drama doumentary on the events of 1066 - the Saxons running north to fight the Vikings and then running south again only to be defeated by the Normans.

I found a first edition of a collection of short stories by Anais Nin.

I find that in empty moments I drift toward youtube to watch interviews with Christopher Hitchens.

I watched a film called 'Innocent Voices' about the civil war that took place in El Salvador.

I spend most of my days at the open air swimming pool on Carmine street. The pool has a large mural painted by Kieth Haring in 1987 and a Library next door.

I read 'The Prospector' by JMG Le Clezio.

I memorized the first page of Celine's 'Journey to the End of the Night' in French and practice walking up and down reciting it like Fabrice Luchini.

I watched a French film with Spanish subtitles.

I walked from Prince street to 77th street.

I went to the Whitney museum and am now trying to decide where I stand with regard to video art.

No comments:

Post a Comment