Monday, August 2, 2010

Dialog between a Therapist and a Philosopher

P: Life is without meaning.
T: You mean your life. Let's talk about your life instead of the more impersonal life in general.
P: Well, no, yes, of course, my life too, my life has no meaning either, it is implied, but I meant to say life, I intended to say life. Your life, his life, our lives, life has no meaning.
T: I just think it is interesting that you use the impersonal form. Maybe you are evading the real question, and therefor the answer to the lack of meaning in your life.
P: Your assumption of meaning is false. I would even argue that it is you who are escaping the meaningless of your life by attributing to it unique qualities of a personal meaning.
T: Every life has meaning, every person has a function, a role in society. People are attached to you, they care, they are interested and you matter, and you believe this too, otherwise you would not talk to me right now.
P: I do not deny my perception of meaning, but it is false. I was transcending the personal to the generic, this is the quality of truth.
T: You mean your truth.
P: No, I mean truth. My words are carving out a universal truth, and this truth is that life is without meaning.
T: Your words.
P: Yes, my words.
T: So, thereby your truth.
P: How could my words be understood if they were my words, verbalizing my truth, only. It is my cause to find truths that are valid for everyone.
T: That's exactly why you cannot find meaning, you seek your meaning in the ecstatic space of the collective 'we', you are in a permanent state of narcissistic love, where you have lost your sense of reality as the 'I'.
P: But my philosophy would have no meaning if it only applied to myself.
T: Maybe not your philosophy, but you, the philosopher would find meaning in your life.
P: Life, I was talking about life, not my life, my life is irrelevant in the context of life.
T: I don't feel we are making progress, you keep dancing away from the essence of the problem.
P: No! You are just afraid.
T: I think it is you who are afraid, and you transfer your fears onto me, it's a known occurrence in psychology. Your life has meaning through others, but you avoid this contact by generalizing your life to life.
P: But my philosophy can only be perceived as meaningful to others when it is generalized to a philosophical truth.
T: You have castrated your life as meaningless through your philosophy.
P: My philosophy, truth is the only purpose I can perceive in life.

No comments:

Post a Comment