Monday, May 24, 2010

Found Object: Postcard fom Guildford

FRONT

A wash of acidic blue. A blue that makes you think of lemons. The white of the clouds - burnt to life or as if the paper has been slowly eaten away, the ink and card at war with one another.

The castle is small, boxlike and acne scarred. It stands proud but broken, its flag as one last cry against the wind. Young trees scale its walls and seem to laugh.

What is the thin fragile fence that hugs the hill beneath it? What does it protect against?

Three men frozen in time, their faces hidden. One looks down, another gazes at his watch, the third stands with his back toward us. How small they are. How easily they could be lost.

BACK

Dear Cindy

I don't know whether you got my last letter or not but I thought I'd better write just incase you didn't get it. You might notice by my address or if you heard from Stella I decided to go back in the army and it's really great this time. I'm in for Postal and Courier so I might be going to Germany after my basic training but that isn't for a while yet. In fact I'm wanting to go to Northern Ireland, I feel that I'm needed there. Well I'll finish now, I'll write a propper letter when I have time meanwhile I hope this will do.

Love

Lavinia

-------------



THE LONDON CHRONICLE

Vienna - Jan 19, 1899
Today being the thirtieth anniversary of the birth of the postcard, its inventor, Dr. Emanuel Hermann, Professor at the Vienna Technical Institute, has received congratulations from all parts of the world. Dr. Hermann's first article suggesting the introduction of the postcard appeared in the Neue Frele Presse of Jan 26, 1869., Six months later Austria adopted the proposal, and all the other States followed its example.

No comments:

Post a Comment