Thursday, May 27, 2010

Interview with Designer of Washington Square Fountain


Q: Good morning. I'm sorry I didn't catch your name...

A: You checked Wikipedia?

Q: Yes.

A: If it's not there I'm not sure I exist do I?

Q: Good point.

(Sound of glasses clinking together)

Q: So let's get started. I understand that the fountain was constructed at some point in the mid 1800s. Is that correct?

A: Yes, 1852 I believe. And then again in 1872.

Q: What was the reason for that?

A: God knows.

Q: Wait, I think you're Frederick Law Olmstead.

A: Really? Jesus Christ, I did everything. How boring.

Q: So this would have come sometime between designing Central Park and Prospect Park then?

A: Oh, I guess so. Ah... let me get into character as Olmstead before committing to exact dates though. Ok, shoot.

Q: Wait, are you hungry? I'm hungry.

A: I'm not that hungry but I could eat.

Q: Do you like veggie sausages?

A: Ah, sure.

Q: Ok, gimme 10 minutes. You can keep talking.

(Sound of footsteps followed by sizzling of frying sausages)

A: Do you want to know my thoughts on the recent move?

(Interviewer's voice is distant but audible above the clatter and scrape of pans)

Q: Yeah, go on. Tragedy or what?

(Inaudible shrug)

A: I could care less to be honest with you. The thing changed once already. And the park was never there when I designed the thing.

Q: no?

A: I'm sorry?

Q: I said 'No'? You were saying...

A Yeah, the street ran north underneath the arch, the whole thing was different then.

Q: Really? That's interesting.

(Sound of footsteps becoming louder)

Q: Do you want ketchup?

A: Thanks. Oh, it's like a hotdog.

Q: Yeah but I don't have buns so I improvised and folded a slice of bread in half.

A: Ah gotcha, it works though.

Q: It's nice with mustard as well.

(Sound of spoon scraping bottom of near empty mustard jar)

Q: Is that enough?

A: Yes thanks. Delicious.

No comments:

Post a Comment