Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Best Wishes, Henry Louis Gates, Jr.

Dear Sir,
Thank you for your letter of April 24th, and for your response to my recent NY Times article. I also appreciate your sharing your views with me.
Best wishes,
Henry Louis Gates, Jr.

Quoting:

Dear Mr. Gates,
I enjoyed reading your provocative op-ed article in the NYTimes, using the insightful research by David Eltis. In addition, I wanted to add a small comment to your thesis that reparations would not be practical. This conclusion is fully based on the premise that the origin of slavery represents the damages, but I believe that the bulk of the suffering took place in the upkeep of slavery in the United States. Hence, reparations should largely be based on further research in the geographical concentration and nature of slavery in the US. I personally disagree therefor with your reconciliatory tone, justified by the ratio of practicalities.
With kind regards,

No comments:

Post a Comment