Monday, June 7, 2010

Death Ship: Part -1


Letter Translated from German

April 7th, 1841: Hamburg

Dear Mother

I am in Hamburg now. I came here last Monday and have taken a room on BruderStraBe. The room is small and the street a little noisy but I don't mind so much as I will only be here another three days.

I am sure that Father has told you by now that I have signed up as a cabin boy on the Ship Dorothea. I don't want you to worry too much though. The ship is bound for Venezuela and I expect to be there only a month or two at most before returning and then, well who knows, maybe I go to sea again or maybe I'll choose to settle here.

I can't tell you how much I wish the ship were headed for Greece. Imagine how happy I would be to have two months in Athens! But nevermind, the important thing is adventure and I will certainly have that. The next letter you receive from me will be sent from Caracas!

Your loving Son

Heinrich Schliemann

No comments:

Post a Comment